Thursday 6 October 2011

Ground Zero

I'm super excited to get my tablet next week and start playing with digital painting. As such I've chosen a few scenes in my head that have been there for so long now they need to come out!

Unfortunately ground zero is where I am. After 6 years of not doing any sketches what so ever it feels like I my fingers are slow and sluggish and when I try to translate the wonderful shapes in my head to paper they come out like this (again apologies for the crappy photos, I promise to get the scanner hooked up sometime soon!):



The first guy here is one of my mecha characters "Ace" who is badly wounded and using a tree and brush for cover. It's the scene where he is being chased by the Caius creatures (essentially hell hounds). I pondered at having a dead one right beside him.. like just a severed head being visible in the bottom right corner. This sketch is just a basic 'let's put things down on paper to see where they might go'. As you can see it didn't turn out nearly as well as the lavishly colored picturesque Avatar-like scene in my head. Nevermind that Ace looks nothing like what is pictured here... and I was trying so very hard to not make him look like a Halo spartan. I guess the mecha shapes are still in my head, so it's nice to see I haven't lost those... although this loose doodle completely murders what I was capable 6 years ago. With a truck. And then the truck backed up to run it over again... and again for good measure.



Here's the third installment of my white dragon flying by a misty cliff side. I like the flow in this sketch but that's about it : / It's better than the first 2... and no you are not privy to see the chicken scratches :p

It seems more practice is in order. Or perhaps a dose of patience. Or maybe a more comfy chair. Something!

No comments:

Post a Comment