Monday 3 October 2011

A new beginning!

Not fully satisfied with the blog's look but it's a work in progress. I've been relishing the idea of jumping back into art but it is a hard seed to nurture! Where oh where do I start?

On the weekend I was able to visit the tiny gift shop / art store in town but they didn't have any of the chinese brush painting supplies I was looking for. Not even rice paper! Never fear though, the helpful lady equated chinese brush painting to watercolors and was ripe to supply me with all things watercolors to which I had need to interrupt her to say that I had all those things already!

I merely parted with a small bottle of india ink just to get me started.

Today I dug out my paints and located my paper and set them all out. I even dusted the wonderful art table my hubby got me last x-mas, sitting, waiting, sadly in the corner unused. Unfortunately the horse shied at the gate and I ended up taking out my lineolated parakeets instead to work on Finnegan's hand shyness rather than finishing what I started.

I was rewarded with a bit of bravery today when he experimentally nibbled on my ear as if to figure out what it might be (luckily no bite but definitely not a grooming nibble). He had fun grooming my hair when suddenly decided my shoulder wasn't a good enough perch and flapped up to my knee, to which my other linnie, Chickpea, wondered what trouble he might be up to and moved to my chest to get a better vantage point over my book. Finnegan decided he wanted to be closer to Chickpea and flapped over to my shoulder again.

Slowly but surely I think he may be coming around. I hope one day gentleness will cure his panic attacks.

I read for the rest of the afternoon and left my art table alone in the corner, brushes out, ink at the ready, chair inviting me to sit down. But one thing was left staring me in the face: that terrifying blank sheet of paper. It sits there full of potential, beckoning the artist closer, inviting... perhaps begging for a sense of completion.

All of which I shy away from with the procrastinational equivalent of writer's block... something all artists are all to familiar with.

Perhaps tomorrow will be more productive!

No comments:

Post a Comment