Tuesday 3 January 2012

Smooth Jazz

My father is very much into Jazz music so I painted this for him for X-mas. It is on 18 x 20 canvas done with acrylic paint. The irony of this painting came from the fact that I was going to do it digitally and get it printed on canvas for the hand painted effect. Then it occurred to me that it might just be easier to physically hand paint it in the first place rather than paying an outrageous price to have a digital version printed on canvas! :)

The actual musician and instrument only took me 2 days to finish but the background took me about 4 long days of experimentation.

I had some difficulty mixing the black with red and I soon discovered that the red paint I have dries translucent so there was no going back once I had put the black in, short of painting it over with white. Yes, red background, you almost broke this painting!

I am thinking of doing a tryptic with perhaps a cello and trumpet or even a flute but I haven't decided yet. This might yet turn into a series and perhaps a much larger painting with the lot of them on the same canvas. So many ideas!



Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, I really like this! The background looks awesome.

    I can't decide if I like the detailed but stylized instrument more, or if a simplified version like it's player would've been more striking. The details in the sax is almost competing with the detail in the background*. Regardless, this turned out hella cool, and I hope your Dad liked it!

    Because, you know, if he didn't, I have a piece of wall this would look excellent on. ;)

    *Not meant in a mean way! Just something I noticed after staring at it for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete